STEAMing Up STEM Academy
STEAM is everywhere! It is hard to come up with any occupation that doesn’t involve STEAM. The focus on STEM began with the notion that students need more opportunities in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math related fields. The National Science Foundation estimates that 80% of the jobs created in the next decade will require some form of math and science skills. With the increased enthusiasm for Project Based Learning (PBL) these two concepts complement each other. Both STEM & PBL promote important 21st century competencies and directly connect to the ISTE Standards of Innovative Designers and Computational Thinkers.
STEAM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Math. In this academy, you will have the opportunity to participate in virtual field trips and regional excursions, as well as experience hands-on STEAMy activities. We will explore ideas of combining real-world activities along with problem solving and team building to come up with a solution.
Join METC in this STEAM-tastic Academy; STEAM-ing Up STEM! STEAM Academy Participants will:
• Engage in challenging educational pursuits through STEAMy excursions and virtual field trips
• Reflect on personal learning through online chats and discussion forums
• Collaborate and model digital citizenship through teaching and sharing resources & ideas
• Construct STEM / STEAM lessons and activities that connect to PBL
• Discover learning resources connected to the ISTE Standards and Future Ready Frameworks
• Explore contemporary and emerging technology resources like Google Apps, OER, Discovery Education, etc.
• Experience the importance of self-directed learning and professional learning networks
Wednesday, October 3 at EducationPlus
Wednesday, November 7 at EducationPlus
Wednesday, December 5 at EducationPlus
Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at EducationPlus
Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at METC Conference
Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at EducationPlus
3.0 college credit hours available upon request. Please contact Stephanie Madlinger at 314.692.1212 for more information.